What are Google Chrome Extensions?
We thought it would be fun to poll our Google+ Community and see what extensions make your lives easier and put together a friendly guide. We received TONS of responses and are thrilled to share them with you all.
In each section below, you will find a link to the extension in case you’d like to check it out and review’s from your fellow Google+ Community members. For a teaser, we’ll let you know that the extension that was most popular out of all the responses comes from the Security/Privacy category. Any guesses? It is Last Pass which helps in storing all those pesky passwords!
Here are the top categories that we created based on your input:
- Screen Capture
- Task Manager
- URL Shorteners
- Data Management
- Reading Aides
- Ad Blockers
- Browsing Aides
- Writing Aides
- Social Networking Productivity
- Social and Communication
2. Window Resizer - Resize browser window to emulate various screen resolutions. This extension re-sizes the browser's window in order to emulate various resolutions. It is particularly useful for web designers and developers by helping them test their layouts on different browser resolutions.
6. Session Manager - I'm a dull boy, so have Chrome set to open at Freshdesk & In/Out attendance; if I have to quit the browser midway through a task, Session Manager allows me to save and re-open where I left off
13. Colorzilla - to pull webcolors from my site when creating newsletters or images for my G+ business page that require specific colors for branding.
Christian Fizia - to get color codes
SCREEN CAPTURE TOOLS
1. Awesome Screen Shot - Capture the whole page or any portion, annotate screenshot, blur sensitive info, one-click upload to share.
Craig Fifield -Awesome Screenshot Enables me to take screen shots quickly, annotate them and save locally or directly to Drive. I have a short vid on it here: How to share a screenshot to Google+ quickly!
Ezzeldin Rafat - Awesome Screenshots, works great and handy and syncs with drive.
1. Last Pass - +LastPass, an award-winning password manager, saves your passwords and gives you secure access from every computer and mobile device. +LastPass lets you store passwords securely (we also use two factor authentication with+YubiKey devices and share with staff & customers in a secure way. Changed the way we manage password security as a business and personally at a fundamental level (for the better)
Scott Eaton- Last Pass is indispensable for password management and form filling. I/E Tab for those occasions when you need to see what a page looks like in a different browser.
Davide Vaccari - secure passwords are a pain!!!
Jerry Broussard +LastPass - great because easy to use and no excuse to not have a strong password. Also, easy change passwords quickly and securely.
Krystalle Keszainn - I use lastpass everyday. It makes logging into websites so much easier because it remembers all of my passwords. It also autofills forms for me - nice!
3. Password - 1Password is a password manager that goes beyond simple password storage by integrating directly with your web browser to automatically log you into websites, enter credit card information, fill registration forms, and easily generate strong passwords.
4. Ghostery - If you're concerned about trackers, you could check out the Ghosteryextension available in the Play store.
Ghostery sees & detects trackers, web bugs, pixels, and beacons placed on web pages by Facebook, Google, and over 500 other ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers — companies interested in your activity.
1. GQueues - I also use +GQueues The GQueues Chrome Extension allows you to easily create tasks while browsing any web page. If you select "From web page," the current web page's title will be used as the task description and a link to the page will be inserted into the notes.
2. Evernote Web Clipper - The Evernote Web Clipper is the easiest way to save, mark up and share anything you see online. From clipping pages to taking and annotating screenshots, the Evernote Web Clipper lets you capture everything, then access it from anywhere.
Yvonne Heimann – Buffer and Evernote for straight saving and posting from the browser.
Ray Hiltz Evernote Web Clipper - If you use Evernote, this is a must have. Gets to know your folder preferences and fills them in automatically. Also comes with powerful Skitch screen capture app
Ezzeldin Rafat - Evenote Clipper- a great web clipper for me, clipps articles/ simplified articles, bookmarks, and tags them and I can sort them in the evernote notebook I want right from the clipper.
Jason Darrell - clip an article, tag it "to do", open up +Evernote, search tag "to do" and you not only have a bookmark tool and to do list, but you can annotate images, add your own notes and even use each Evernote as the basis of a blog post using +Postachio, par example: http://goo.gl/YAyJpw
Jerry Broussard because I can browse for blog ideas and quickly clip resource material for later reading.
7. IQTell - The most full-featured implementation of the Getting Things Done methodology that I've seen.
Jeffrey J Davis
English Atkins - YES!! +IQTELL should be in both the Email and Task Manager lists. IQTELL has enabled me to wrangle all of the aspects of my digital life into one tidy app. I LOVE it!!
1. Goo.gl URL Shortener - goo.gl url shortener is an extension which allows you to shorten the current website URL with the Google URL Shortener service http://goo.gl/
Ezzeldin Rafat - Goo.gl URL shortner, I love the QR code feature. I would love to see Google+ converts links automatically to my goo.gl shortner dashboard.
1. Synology Download Station - I like it because no matter what content or link, I can right click and download the file directly to my Synology NAS. So if I, for example need to download a large image file of a linux distro, I don't have to keep my PC on and it's stored in a safe place until I want to use it.
3. RSS Feed Reader: - +InoReader the most Google Reader-like RSS out there, which you can configure to the max, even with Android, and yes, even with the free version. If you open it during your browsing session, it also has desktop alerts for new feed items;
2. Facebook AdBlock -Tired of Facebook ads? No problem ! Just install this AdBlock extension and all your problems are gone. This Facebook AdBlock will remove the ads from your Facebook page, to leave you with clean Facebook pages.
3. Dualless - Split-Screen for those without Dual Monitors - have your set of research pages open in one half of the screen (configurable widths) and have Writebox open in the other to write your fresh content right there in the browser;
7. OneTab - basically works like a mass bookmark tool. When I get lots of tabs open and want to remember where they all are without bookmarking individually, so I can come back later, this is my tool. It also keeps my browser running smoothly because I don't have so many tabs open. When I want to get to them, they are easy to access in the "One Tab".
1. Writebox - "Distraction-free text editor" - configurable writing palette that syncs seamlessly with +Dropbox or +Google Drive. Retrievable in-browser memory too, great if you 'forget' to sync - like QFN for+Mozilla Firefox, but not quite with as many json apps.
5. Voice Recognition - I tried this Chrome dictation app out the other day, Voice Recognition. It's not as good as some of the premium offerings like Dragon Dictate, but it doesn't do a bad job, and it's free.
SOCIAL NETWORKING PRODUCTIVITY TOOLS
1. Post Editor for Google+ - It's a Chrome Extension for formatting Google+ posts. It adds WYSIWYG-ish controls to the Google+ post box so the formatting markup can be automatically added. It's primary audience would be new users or infrequent users who don't remember to put an asterisk before and after what you want to be bold.
2. Sprout Social - +Sprout Social The Sprout Social extension allows you to easily share content you find while surfing the web, with options to draft a message, schedule for later, or publish instantly. Enjoy the ability to cross-post to multiple networks and find optimal send times to reach your audience and increase engagement. The Chrome extension requires a Sprout Social account and is included with all plans. For more information about Sprout Social, visit http://sproutsocial.com.
3. Buffer - Buffer is a better way to publish your updates on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and more. It also tracks results and analyzes everything you share for you
Yvonne Heimann – Buffer and Evernote for straight saving and posting from the browser.
8. Do Share - Doshare because I do a lot of my G+ posts ahead of time and I like the option to schedule them, edit them at a later time, and not worry about accidentally losing the post.
SOCIAL AND COMMUNICATION
1. Rbutr - Use rbutr to Follow inter-website disagreements and keep yourself more fully informed. rbutr connects rebuttals to the pages they rebut. Visit a rebutted page and you will be told "There are rebuttals to this page." You can then open up the rebutting article(s).
2. CircleCount.com - to find out more about people on G+ on the fly
Julia Davies “Circlecount is just all round useful”
Lisa Heffernan +CircleCount for the reason we discussed the other day, the only way to find circles that have included you and offer your thanks.
Alexandra Riecke-Gonzales CircleCount because it can give me a much more extensive quick look into someone than the Google+ hovercard!
Davide Vaccari - to see if what I did has a meaning, after all!! They are the top!!! For Me!
Krystalle Keszainn tells me lots more about people on G+ than G+ does.
3. Hangouts - because although I spend a lot of time with G+ open in a tab, I don't want to always have to have G+ open.
Rene Croes I forgot to mention this one. I love this extension. I don't need to have Google+ or gmail open to chat, can use this one. Love it.
Krystalle Keszainn When someone contacts me I don't have to go find which tab the call is ringing in - it's right there in my hangout extension.
8. MightyText - +MightyText is my favorite. Send & Receive SMS Text Messages from Chrome on your computer or tablet.
Jim Sear Send receive Archive SMS from your phone on computer
Joseph Ellman allows me to text without leaving my keyboard. I use it on my laptop and tablet.
1. MozBar - MOZbar and Pagerankstatus, to get website information right when I'm in the site. best way to see if and SEO expert is really an expert
4. Magic Actions for YouTube - Great app for youtube available in the Play Store. I like to watch all videos in HD and it's settings allow this. There's some really great features in the extension including the ability to stop a video at any point and take a great screenshot image.
There we have it! Loads of fun, practical and life enhancing Chrome Extensions for you, all in one place.