How to create a plus post ad within Google Adwords
What are they all about?
Well since April 16th 2014, anyone with over 1000 followers, who wants their Google+ content to gain more exposure, can do so using their Google Adwords account.
These ads will appear across the Google Display network.
This article will take you step-by-step through the process.
Why should we look at this?
If you want more people to engage on your content, including clicking links (i.e. traffic to your website) within it, this will be an excellent way for you to go.
On the 'ads' people can:
comment (if allowed)
add the page
As many of us know, growing Brand Pages can be a lot of work and alongside what we will now call ‘traditional’ methods on Google+, this ad method will prove to be invaluable.
Check out Mark Traphagen's post below for more on the 'why'...
What you’ll need to get started.
You will need a Google Adwords account.
You will also need to be ‘on’ Google+ and have over 1000 followers (i.e. people having circled you).
What if I haven’t got e.g. a Brand Page yet?
Don’t worry, here is an article and guide to help you get ready. Just click here.
How to setup a plus post ad...
Create a new campaign by clicking on the red campaign button, and:
1. Choose 'Display network only' (it won't work otherwise)
Step 2 a
1. Give the campaign a name
2. Check it is Display Network only, or change it!
3. Choose 'engagement' from the list
Step 2 b
On the same page then:
1. Choose the country, and
2. Choose your budget
(there are other options here if you want to adjust/refine too)
Step 2 c
Then, still on the same page:
1. Give the campaign a daily budget,
2. Add in e.g. site extensions and look at the advanced settings, then
3.'Save and continue'
Next you will want to 'create an ad group' (note, you will need a group before you create the ad in this process)
1. Name the group,
2. Give a default bid
3. Choose keywords/interests etc
1. Select the type of ad you want to have.
Step 4 b
2. Choose a Google+ Page or Profile from which you want the add post to display
Step 4 c
3. Choose to keep the post selected, or you can choose another post available from that Page or Profile
4. Review and finish when done
Or, instead of clicking 'done' you have other options on that Page...
Step 4 c, part 2 - if you choose to select another post
You can then select from the pop up window the post you want to display
Step 4 d - additionally
1. You can ‘customize’ and decide whether to show ‘comments’, or not.
2. You can also choose from different sized ads
Step 4 e
1. You can then choose to ‘review and finish’, or cancel
2. You can ‘save ads’ or ‘skip’ ad creation
As you can see (for a different post), you can choose the size and how it will appear.
Just choose the ones you want (checked boxes) and click ‘done’ once you are finished.
Return to the ad screen to see the ads ‘under review’ and also you will see they are ‘engagement ads’.
Tools that will help.
Check out Ben's post on this subject too.
They have a tool that will give you insight into how/when your content is 'engaging' or not.
Note: I am not an affiliate; I do have free access to this tool though.
- Pick a post that did well and promote it. (Engagement by Day)
- Tailor the time your ads show based on your best times to post. (Engagement by Time)
- Use your top performing post type to test different calls to action. (Engagement by Type)
This has the potential to bring Social to the rest of the web like never before.
There will be tests run and schools of thought emerging on how to maximize engagement on posts, and how to deliver tangible results for a business.
Even for an individual looking to increase their reach this is going to be an invaluable tool.
As with all Google Adwords campaigns, and I say this having been using/consulting on it since 2003, if you are doing the work yourself, you will want to ‘go steady’ and run low risk tests first.
This is a great opportunity, you just need a plan.
We are here to help if you need us. Simply get in touch.