Thanks to Rey Ley for proving this information for fellow PYB member!
Creating a map is a fairly simple process when you have the correct information:
- Enter into Google Maps Engine https://www.google.com/maps/
- Sign in by pressing the Sign in button in the top right corner of the map
- Make sure the search box is empty then click inside it.
- Click My Maps.
- Click the Create button
- If you choose to open a previously created map the Open Map dialog will appear. Select maps you’d like to work on from Created by me, Shared with me, or Classic My Maps. (As all products of Google maps is a work in progress and part of a suite of solutions)
- Open an existing or new map in My Maps.
- Make sure the correct layer is selected in blue in the legend on the left.
- Click Import. You can import CSV, TSV, KML, or XLSX files, classic My Maps, or spreadsheets from Google Drive.
- Drag a file from your computer, select a Google Drive file or open a previous My Maps map.
- Click Choose a file to upload.
- Pick one column that identify the location of your data.
- Click Continue.
- Pick a single column to label the data on the map, then click Finish.
Add images and videos to Maps
You can add and edit information in an info window on the map:
- Multiple photos
- Multiple videos
- Column data (such as description, price, or website)
- Google Maps details
- Open text
- Click the placemark, shape, or line on the map you want to edit.
- Click the edit icon edit in the info window that appears on the map.
- Click the dropdown menu dropdown arrow to add the column information that will be the name or description.
- Click the camera icon to add images or videos. You will see the following options:
- Google Image Search: Type your keywords in the search box and click the Search button. Choose the image then click Select.
- Image URL: Paste an image URL then click Select.
- Video Search: Type your keywords in the search box and click the Search button. Choose the video then click Select.
- YouTube URL: Paste an YouTube URL then click Select.
- Note that you always click the plus icon to go back and add multiple images or videos.
- Click Save. Your changes will appear in the table view as well.
You can ONLY upload images or videos that are on the web, BUT if your photos are on Google Drive you just need open Google Drive on your browser and select the file where the picture is stored click on it and click on the top right corner on the LINK icon, get the URL and paste it on the box.
Indoor Maps for Business
Business can benefit from using images form their stores for potential costumers to decide on visiting your store.
Opportunities for Photographers and agencies/consultants
If you’re a photographer or a consultant/agency you can help local businesses hand in hand with business owners.
Level of complexity
With Google Map maker you can increase the complexity of details into your maps, by tracing roads, tracks, shape existing buildings.
For further information on Google MAPS